October 4, 2023
Table of Contents
The Learning Support Assistant (LSA) is the unsung hero in any educational setting, often serving as the backbone of inclusive learning and academic progress. As an LSA, you'll be more than just a helping hand in the classroom; you'll be an advocate for inclusive education, a mentor for those who need it most, and a key player in shaping positive learning experiences.
Whether you're a college seeking a compassionate and skilled individual or you're considering a rewarding career as a Learning Support Assistant, this guide is designed for you. It offers a job description that can be adapted to fit your specific needs and provides a wealth of resources to guide you through the hiring process or your journey into this impactful role.
Find Your Ideal Learning Support Assistant with Bolt Jobs
If you’re an educational institution looking for a dedicated Learning Support Assistant, Bolt Jobs is here to help. Our platform is designed to connect you with the right candidates for your specific needs. Head over to our job posting page to lay out your requirements and begin attracting committed and qualified individuals today.
Learning Support Assistant Job Description
Below is a job description template for a Learning Support Assistant, designed to be versatile enough for adaptation to your specific educational setting.
Overall Purpose & Scope of Role:
A Learning Support Assistant plays a critical role in facilitating an inclusive and supportive learning environment. By providing individualised attention, LSAs help students with a range of needs to access the curriculum, engage with their peers, and achieve their educational goals. The role can vary based on the educational institution and the needs of the students but generally includes:
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lesson Assistance: Working alongside the lead teacher to prepare materials and support lesson delivery.
- One-on-One Tutoring: Providing tailored support to students who require additional help grasping the subject matter.
- Behavioural Support: Helping manage classroom behaviour to create a conducive learning atmosphere.
Social and Emotional Support:
- Inclusive Education: Promoting a sense of belonging for all students, particularly those with special educational needs.
- Peer Interaction: Encouraging and facilitating positive interactions between students.
- Record-Keeping: Maintaining accurate and up-to-date records of student progress, attendance, and specific needs.
- Resource Management: Assisting in the organisation and preparation of teaching resources.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs):
- Student Engagement: Levels of active participation and attention during lessons.
- Academic Progress: Improvements in students' grades or learning assessments.
- Teacher Satisfaction: Positive feedback from lead teachers on the level of support provided.
Finding the right Learning Support Assistant goes beyond a list of qualifications. You'll need someone who not only has the skills but also the passion and commitment to make a genuine difference in students' lives. Below are some essential attributes considered crucial for this role:
- Flexibility: The ability to adapt to different classroom settings and student needs.
Sensitivity and Empathy:
- Understanding: A keen sense of emotional intelligence to relate to students' needs and challenges.
- Reliability: Consistent punctuality and responsibility in task management.
- Communication: Clear and respectful communication skills are essential when interacting with students, teachers, and parents.
- Teamwork: Ability to collaborate effectively with teaching staff and other support personnel.
- Background: Experience in educational settings or working with children is often beneficial but not mandatory.
- Qualifications: Relevant certifications or training in education, special needs support, or related fields are a plus.
If the role of a Learning Support Assistant sounds like the perfect fit for you, or if you're an institution seeking to fill this crucial position, Bolt Jobs is here to streamline the process.
For Job Seekers:
- Browse through our extensive list of Learning Support Assistant positions to find a role that matches your skills and passion. Visit Bolt Jobs Learning Support for more information.
- Use our Learning Support Assistant CV guide to craft a standout application.
- Check out the top skills and traits of a learning support assistant.
- Prepare for your interviews by consulting our list of Learning Support Assistant Interview Questions and Answers.
- Post your job specifications on our platform to attract qualified candidates.
- Utilise our reach within the educational community to find an individual who aligns with your institutional values and needs.